Thursday, March 12, 2009

So snuggly

One of the things I love about sewing for other mommies, is that my "customers" become friends too!

One of my long time friend-customers placed an order recently, for some yummy goodies for mamas to be. We were talking about blankets, and she asked if I had minky or something snuggly that I could do an embroidered baby blanket out of. My first answer was no, until I realized that organic bamboo velour would be sooo snuggly for a newborn blanket, and so soft and warm!

So, the bamboo velour blanket was born! Double thickness organic bamboo velour, with a contrasting binding and embroidery. And very exciting for me, I got to use my binders for my coverstitch to apply the binding, and that was fun and worked so well!

The first one:

She loved that one so much (which made my day!), she decided she needed another. We chose a wonderful dragonfly embroidery that refused to photograph well, so the best picture I could get is without the flash on a marginal sunshine day in central Oregon. However, without the flash you can really see the cool embossed effect the dragonfly design had on the bamboo velour. I like this one especially, becuase I feel like it's so delicate and sweet for a baby girl:


Of course, in my habit of oversewing and overstrengthing anything I make, I decided the coverstitched binding wasn't quite secure enough for my tastes. I did a chain stitch, which is really very secure, but I know at least one of my girls loved to gnaw on blanket bindings when she was teething, I think they felt good. So after using my coverstitch to get the perfectly even border, I went back over it with a wide zig zag on my sewing machine. I am certain that binding is going no where now, which will allow me to rest easier.

This is yet another thing I wish that I would have thought of or had the equipment to make for my baby girls. *sigh* But I am thinking it's never too late, and I am very tempted to find some more bamboo velour (at co-op prices, hopefully!), and make them each an embroidered blanket in their size for Easter or just because. I think they need one :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What kind of coverstitch machine do you have? I'm currently wrestling with my babylock coverstitcher with binding attachments to do this with baby blankets... though I am using flannel and woven cut-on-the bias binding. I do just fine down the straight edges but can't seem to turn the curves easily at all, the stitching always goes off the binding!

Sorry to jump in... surfed in via Google searching for help ;o)