Friday, February 13, 2009

It's still mama made, but now longer lasting!

I really enjoy sewing special shirts or outfits for my girls for each and every holiday, it's something that I enjoy! The hunt for the perfect fabric for the occasion, then the design and construction of the perfect garment for that special day, all made with mama's love. Then, the outfits are worn on that perfect day, and usually another day around the holiday or occasion, and then they are thrown to the back of the closet never to be seen again.

*sigh*

So yes, while I enjoy it, I have also become frustrated with the special shirts I make that scream a certain holiday or occasion (like last year's Valentine Shirts) that are worn once or twice, and then never again.

So I have been attempting to make outfits that are appropriately festive for a holiday or occasion, but will still be worn before and after without screaming "I AM A VALENTINE SHIRT!!" or something similar.

This year, when I saw the mad sky hearts and mad sky chickadees in stock at an online fabric store, I knew that the fabrics would be perfect for valentines, but would not look odd worn all year long. So I took the mad sky hearts and made Abby a tee shortly before Christmas, and then for Andraya I made a chickadee outfit about a month ago.

Their Valentine parties are happening at preschool today, so they happily got dressed this morning in clothes they have worn before and will wear again, but yet they look so festive for their parties!



I know I got lucky with these fabrics working out so well! Let's hope I can do it again sometime!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So adorable! And you're right, those shirts will be great year round.

Unknown said...

OMG mama! Is there any way you could tell me where you found the madsky hearts? I DESPERATELY want to make matching skirts for my LO and her two cousins!

Hilary said...

Laura,

I got the mad sky hearts at www.crybabysboutique.com a while back. It did sell out fast, and I haven't seen it again. I would watch ebay!

Hilary