Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Playdresses

With two little girls in this house, I get a lot of requests for dresses, especially from the big one! I do enjoy making them dresses, but I have been in a huge rut.

As far as knit playdresses go, I am quite picky. There are a lot of styles I don't care for over a certain age, although I don't judge those that do prefer them. One dress I have always really loved the fit of is the Olivia by Farbenmix. I usually just make the underdress on that pattern, which makes a very cute knit playdress.

But, looking back through pictures, that's all my girls wear! I know I have made it a lot, but I didn't realize I had made them THAT many. They will still get some for summer, but I obviously need to change things up a bit.

So, I am trying to broaden my knit playdress horizons. Today I decided to give the Henrika, also from Farbenmix, a trial run. It's basically a drop waist playdress with a full circle skirt, very cute! There are lots of options to add ruffles and all sorts of things, but for the trial run I kept it pretty plain.

I used a Flap Happy overrun fabric, I love this print! I haven't found the perfect use for it yet, but I really like how the fabric works so well with this style of dress. I also used the matching stripe I was able to get to make a pair of leggings, so this cute dress can be worn now while it's still a bit chilly outside:


Abby really liked it, which was a bonus. I think it's very flattering on her:

And like any princess girl, she is most impressed with the twirl factor of the full circle skirt:



The dress went together really easily, and I think I might have another Farbenmix pattern that will become a regular in their closets! Draya will definitely get a dress in this style, I am still thinking about the perfect fabric for hers.

3 comments:

angie said...

I love that style! I'm having a hard time figuring out what style of dresses to make for Jacki, ugh. I'm thinking skirts will be easier.

Madaline Jane said...

Very cute Hilary! I think I might have try one of those. :)

Anonymous said...

That circle skirt is amazing! I may have to add Henrika to my collection.