Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I Heart Farbenmix!

I have really gotten into European patterns the last couple of years - things like Ottobre, Onion, and Farbenmix.


I got especially hooked on Farbenmix when I picked up their Olivia dress pattern from Sewzannes Fabrics at least a year ago. The funky under dress made from knit with a long knotted hood is a staple in my preschooler's wardrobe.


My only complaint is that Farbenmix doesn't instantly translate all of their patterns to English, so being the impatient person I am, I ordered some of the ones I was dying for direct from them. I will say their customer service is excellent, and shipping was surprisingly fast. And I had a good giggle from some of the strange translations that came across from their email translator.


One of the patterns I picked up was the Farbenmix Xenia, a little cross front sundress. Since I am starting to plan the girls' summer wardrobes, I pulled this out the other day so I could give it a test run.


I am in LOVE. Their sizing is so consistent, and it's so nice to be able to trace, cut and sew, and have something wearable!


Here is Abby modeling her trial run Xenia made from $1 clearance fabric:




I did the version that ties in the back like a halter. Being rather lazy about it, and not really seeing sense in a halter dress, I omitted the zipper and just put elastic in the back part. I also wanted it to slip on easy, as it is a pretty fitted pattern, so I traced a size larger than she normally wears. She is usually a pretty good fit in a 104 (European sizing, about a 5), so I traced the 110/116 so it would be less fitted and easy to get in and out of without a back zipper.


I am sooo happy with it! Next time, though, I'll shirr the back instead of inserting elastic. I think it will give it a better fit across the back, and more of the look I want!

Gotta love a dress that cost all of $3 to make!

And would you look at my little girl's long hair?? Sniffle, sniffle. She has grown up far too fast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I Love the patterns from Farbenmix as well and am also frustrated with the slow translation times. I have been eyeing the Muriel for months now. You said the shipping was fast, but how expensive was it? If you don't mind my asking, depending on the answer I might have to order direct as well...

liannenelson@yahoo.com