Saturday, September 6, 2008

Do I need another hobby?

Here we are again, it's September. And in our high desert climate, there is a good hint of fall in the air, especially on those chilly mornings. And again this year, that hint of fall is making me think, "I need to learn to knit!"

I have daydreams of knitting up beautiful things out of my yarn stash (what's that you say, why do you have a yarn stash when you don't know how to do a thing with it? Yeah, well, everyone has their issues, let it be!). I have beautiful colorways that really inspire me....my most recent addition was "Snow Angel" by Nurturing Threads. It's gorgeous, a mix of blue and purple. My oldest girly would look fanstastic in it!

And I wander around knitting blogs, including Jessica's, and I get this little burn of desire to pick up my non existent knitting needles and crank out beautiful things.

I have tried to knit before, I have! So far, I have not been good at it! I think taking a class would help me immensely, I am very visual, and I need someone that is patient! I have been waiting for my local yarn store to offer a beginning class again, should be very soon.

Of course, the question is still nagging me - do I need another hobby? I mean, really? Especially a hobby that validates my need to collect fibers of different sorts? Something for me to ponder on this chilly Saturday morning.

2 comments:

TopazGirl said...

You can do it!! Stacy's Snow Angel color is enough to get anyone itching to knit, lol - I have it in sock yarn, and it's been calling to me. I learned to knit by watching the free videos on knittinghelp.com, but if you have a yarn shop nearby they offer beginner's classes. :)

Unknown said...

Don't do it...trying to learn to knit literally drove me bonkers when i was on bedrest during my pregnancy. I finally THREW all the stuff across the room and said to heck with it. Boxed it all up and sent it to my friend who can knit and have a knitting group to share all the stuff with. Seriously it just wasn't a hobby i could learn. I can crochet. I can sew. I can scrapbook. I can do most other "crafty" things...but knitting, it's just not my "thing". Good luck though.....